These Quinoa, Coconut and Date Muffins will bring a little bit of tasty joy to your mornings. If you’re like me, you won’t reserve them for mornings only — they’re perfect for an afternoon snack, too.
These muffins (and multiple variations of them — the possibilities are endless!) have become a favorite in my house. It all started when my youngest niece came to visit last Christmas (she brought her parents, too). She was just a few months past her second birthday, and from our frequent FaceTime conversations, I knew that she loved quinoa. That was a toddler-favorite first for me, but okay!
I had seen a recipe in Vegetarian Times for gluten-free Morning Muffins featuring quinoa. I thought they would make the perfect snack for little- and larger-sized hands, and I was right on the money. Everyone, especially my niece, loved them! In fact, we snacked on them throughout the day. This recipe became one that I’ve adapted many times.
The chopped dates in my Quinoa, Coconut and Date Muffins add a nice touch of sweetness, and the coconut is perfect for added texture and flavor. Thanks to the quinoa (I used tricolor quinoa for this recipe), these muffins are moist and filling (great for breakfast on a Meatless Monday, too). Like I said, perfect in the a.m. to get your day started, or in the p.m. to satisfy that annoying growl that usually plagues me and my stomach.Tasty & filling #Quinoa, Coconut and Date #Muffins, perfect in the a.m. & p.m., too! Click To Tweet
I highly recommend that you whip up a batch of Quinoa, Coconut and Date Muffins at your earliest convenience — don’t wait for visitors, but go ahead and make them when they come to town, too!
These muffins are perfect to bring a bit of joy to your mornings (and afternoons, too).
- 2 cups all-purpose baking flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cooked quinoa (I used tricolored quinoa)
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, plus extra as garnish over the top of the muffins
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with either silicone baking cups or baking papers.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the cooked quinoa and the flaxseed meal. Pour the coconut milk over the top, and let it sit as you continue to prepare the muffins.
- In another large bowl, add the eggs, honey, oil, vanilla extract, and sugar. Mix well to combine.
- Add the quinoa mixture to the egg mixture. A little at a time, add the flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the dates and coconut flakes.
- Spoon the batter into the lined tins, up to about 1/4-inch from the top. Sprinkle the remaining coconut flakes over the tops.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Wait a few minutes, then remove the muffins from the tins and cool on a baking rack.
If you'd like, add 1/2 cup of chopped almonds or walnuts to these muffins for added texture.