Mexican Street Corn Salad is a dish you’ll want to serve all summer, and one you’ll think about all winter! It’s easy to make and it makes any summer meal complete. Once you try it, you’ll want to make it often.
I wish I had a cool story to tell you about eating grilled Mexican street corn (elotes) while actually in Mexico, but I don’t. But don’t stop reading! I have this recipe that you don’t want to miss!
Living in the Southwest, I have access to great Mexican food, and that includes grilled Mexican street corn. It’s such a simple thing, and it brings a smile (and slick lips) to my face.
I turned street corn into a side dish salad — not just to cut back on napkin use, but because it’s a super-easy dish to toss together when you need something yummy, and it goes well with pretty much anything you’re cooking during the summer.
If you love grilled corn on the cob like I do, you’ll want to try grilled corn on the cob with kale pesto. It’s a great way to add flavor and color to your corn. And grilled corn, peppers, and black bean tacos with creamy poblano sauce make super-tasty vegetarian tacos.
When soup season rolls around, you can still enjoy corn: just whip up a batch of my roasted Hatch chile and corn chowder. It’s super flavorful (I loooove those Hatch chilies)!
But for now all eyes are on summer, and everything about Mexican Street Corn Salad says summer to me. I mean, how far do you get into the season without serving corn in some fashion? And how often does it come up in your summer meals?
You’ll love this dish for a little variety in your side-dish life, and because the flavors are just so darn good: the creamy mayo combines with the zippy lime, the zesty chile powder, and the slightly salty cotija cheese (and don’t forget the cilantro).
You have a few options when it comes to this salad: you could grill your corn on the cob first, then cut it off to use in this salad, or you make it on the stovetop like I do here.
Whatever you do, don’t miss out on your chance to make Mexican Street Corn Salad. Who knows, maybe you’ll be able to share a fun story from your experience!
Serves Serves 4-6
You'll love this summer side! It's easy to make and perfect with just about any meal you're serving.
- 4 cups corn kernels
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red chili pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced (you could use a jalapeño pepper)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese, crumbled, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, plus extra for garnish
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the corn and the salt toss to combine. Let the corn sit for a few minutes to turn golden, then stir. Continue a few more times like this until all the corn is lightly charred.
- Add the garlic and the chili pepper. Toss to combine and remove from the heat. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, lime juice, cotija cheese, cilantro, and chili powder to the corn. Toss to combine.
- Serve garnished with extra cheese, cilantro, and chili powder.