Dig in to Italian Potato Salad with Swiss Chard for a delicious and healthier potato salad option this summer season. I replaced the mayo with olive oil and lemon juice, and tossed in some colorful Swiss chard to switch things up on this great side dish.
I know the looooong July 4th holiday is over (have you recuperated?) but there is a long way to go until the sun sets on all the summer’s parties, picnics, and cookouts. Italian Potato Salad with Swiss Chard is so tasty you might want to enjoy it all year long.
This is a recipe I posted on Grab a Plate in 2012. Scroll to the end of the page to check out the photo that I took for my original post. It’s not the best picture, but that’s where I started. I’ve progressed with my photography, but I still have a lot to learn.
Potato salad is pretty much expected at any summer gathering, but my mom always made this version with an Italian spin. No matter what holiday we were celebrating, there was always and Italian dish or two served.
Show of hands: how many of you celebrate Thanksgiving with lasagna along with the traditional dishes? That’s my family!
I am a Swiss chard lover, for sure! When the fall rolls around, you just have to try Black-Eyed Pea & Swiss Chard Soup with Pancetta. It’s perfect on a cool night and so tasty. Another delicious recipe is Swiss Chard Wraps with Wheat Berry Salad — it’s fun to serve this as a lighter main dish.
One more! One more! My Swiss Chard and Tofu Stuffed Shells is an amazing, vegan main dish. Italian with a twist, for sure!
The oil and lemon juice dressing I used for this potato salad makes a nice change from many of the standard potato salads typically dressed in mayonnaise. I added sliced garlic (hooray, garlic!), dried oregano, and some red pepper flakes to the mix, too.
The Swiss chard adds great flavor and color. If you can’t find Swiss chard this time of year, try spinach another of your favorite greens. I think green beans might be fun to try instead of Swiss chard. Maybe next weekend!
Here is the original photo that I posted with this recipe way back in 2012:
No matter what you’re celebrating this summer, whether a Sunday cookout or a party with a crowd, Italian Potato Salad with Swiss Chard is a delicious salad to serve.
Yields Serves 6-8
- 2 pounds small potatoes, cleaned and cut into quarters (skin on)
- 2 bunches Swiss chard, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces (stems, too)
- 3/4 large white onion, cut into thin strips
- 3-4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4-6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to season the water
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of boiling, salted water (enough to cover the potatoes) and cook until tender, but still firm, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the water and set the potatoes aside.
- Add the Swiss chard to a pan of boiling water (deep enough to cover the Swiss chard) for about 2-3 minutes, then drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, Swiss chard, onion, and garlic.
- Pour the olive oil and 4 tablespoons of lemon juice over the potatoes and Swiss chard. Season with the salt, red pepper flakes, oregano, and black pepper. Toss to combine. Taste, and if needed, add the remaining lemon juice and season as needed.
- Toss again, and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve chilled.