Wondering what to make for dinner? Pasta is always a favorite, and only gets better when it’s a flavorful dish that’s filling, too. My recipe for Fajita Pasta ticks off those boxes. It’s so tasty that I can’t wait for you to try it.
Fajita Pasta is definitely a colorful and flavorful dish (hello Italian-Mexican mash up!) and filling, too, thanks in part to the Barilla Whole Grain penne pasta I used. The pasta itself is an excellent source of fiber and it’s made with 100% whole wheat (there are 56g of whole grain in each serving).
I usually pick up Barilla pasta from Walmart, and there are so many super wholesome options in its line, including a ProteinPLUS pasta, a White Fiber pasta, and a gluten-free pasta.
If you follow a gluten-free diet, you’ll be happy to hear that Barilla Gluten Free Penne pasta was recognized as one of Parents magazine’s top 25 allergy-friendly foods.
Pasta is definitely a go-to meal in my house. But have you ever found yourself trying to dig out of a pasta rut, plagued by always making it the same way with the same ingredients? I’ve been down in those depths more than a few times.
My goal was to branch out a bit and create a colorful and flavorful pasta dish that didn’t rely solely on the sauce. I mean, sauce is a wonderful thing, but I wanted to add a little substance and flavor, too.
I jazzed things up by adding fajita-inspired flavors and ingredients to the pasta, and it was great idea. My husband and neighbor confirmed this! The seasoning can get a bit spicy, but you can adjust it to your taste.
You’ll find bell peppers, onions, and zucchini in the mix, and of course fajita seasoning that you can easily make by reaching into your spice cabinet. Oh, and don’t forget the cheese!
When you’re ready to start cooking, use this Ibotta rebate to save on Barilla pasta. After you try my recipe, check out some other delicious ideas from the Barilla or on Pinterest. I can’t wait for you to try Fajita Pasta. It’s a fun dish that’s big on flavor!
I’d like to thank Barilla for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you, readers, for supporting the brands I love!
Yields Serves 8
You'll love this pasta dish with its mash up of Italian and Mexican flavors! If you need to adjust the seasonings to fit your tastes, it's easy to do!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 yellow onion cut into thin strips
- 1 large zucchini cut into 1-inch rounds, then quartered
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 12 ounces thin salsa (use your favorite)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces Barilla Whole Grain penne pasta
- Combine the first eight (dry seasoning) ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. When boiling, add the Barilla pasta and cook according to the package directions or until done. Drain and set aside.
- As the pasta cooks, add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the peppers and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, for several minutes so the vegetables soften, but still have some firmness to them. Add the zucchini and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and mix in the skillet. Add the salsa and the water and mix to combine. Toss in the pasta and stir to coat. Cook for just a few minutes until heated through.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheese. Stir to combine.
- Serve warm.