Coconut Carrot and Cashew Rice Pilaf is a delicious side dish that’s easy to make. Just pull out a few staples from your fridge and pantry, and you’re set.
Did you have a good weekend? Mine was pretty uneventful. When I think of what’s happening in Florida, the Caribbean, Houston, and in the parts of the country experiencing fires, “uneventful” is just fine with me. You can be sure I have everyone in those areas in my thoughts.
I always think of rice as part comfort food, part something to make in a pinch, and part perfect side dish. Coconut Carrot and Cashew Rice Pilaf is so tasty, I could have eaten it as my main course!
This dish fits the bill for all three of those categories, for sure. Because it’s a little rich thanks to the coconut milk, it is also filling and flavorful. I love that it’s dotted with pretty colors from the carrots and red bell pepper.
Curry powder adds another component to this dish that pairs nicely with the coconut milk, for sure. Toss in some cashews, and you’ve got just the right touch of crunch.
This rice pilaf comes together so quickly, you could definitely reach for it when you’re in a pinch, but still want a delicious dish. If you’re like me, you’ll have the ingredients on hand in your fridge and cupboards. I always have a few cans of coconut milk in the pantry. If you don’t, I highly recommend it.
You can use coconut milk to make this Cherry, Almond & Coconut Overnight Oats with Chia for breakfast, or use it to make Grilled Spicy Coconut-Lime Shrimp Skewers for dinner, or maybe this Vegan Chocolate-Almond Mousse with Coconut Whipped Topping for dessert!
Whether you serve this dish as a side with fish or chicken, or you make it your main course, this rice pilaf is delicious! It’s perfect to serve on Meatless Monday with a nice salad or even soup. After all, I hear it’s getting chilly in a few places around the country — just not here (groan).
You’ll love Coconut Carrot and Cashew Rice Pilaf. I hope you put it on your list of things to make soon!
Serves Serves 4-6
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, membrane and seeds removed, diced
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1-1/4 cups coconut milk, divided
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup toasted cashew pieces
- 2 green onions, chopped small, for garnish
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the carrot, bell pepper, onion, and uncooked rice. Stir and cook for several minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir often, and scrape the rice from the bottom of the pan so it doesn’t burn.
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of water to the skillet. Add the garlic, curry powder, cumin, ginger, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Let the mixture boil for just a minute or so, then cover the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining coconut milk and water to the skillet, stir, and cook for five more minutes.
- Stir in the cashew pieces and remove the skillet from the heat.