For those times when you just have to have some chocolate, these Chocolate Almond Blueberry Bites will hit the spot. They’re really easy to put together and they’ll quickly satisfy your sweet tooth.
Do you ever make your own candy? Some candy is a little difficult or testy to make, but Chocolate Almond Blueberry Bites are one of the easiest candy treats I’ve ever made. They come together quickly, so it’s fun to whip them up when you need a chocolate fix.
I have a few other easy-to-make candy recipes for you: Homemade Cardamom-Orange Soft Caramels, which are perfect for the fall and so flavorful, and my recipe for Spicy Pine Nut Brittle, which is a twist on a classic that’s nice to take to someone as a small gift.
My friend was eating squares of a large chocolate bar the other day and offered a few to me. As much as she loves chocolate, I was surprised she was willing to “spare a square” or two!
And as much as I love chocolate, I didn’t even bother to ask what sort of candy it was. For all I knew, it could have been chocolate-covered grasshoppers!
To my pleasant surprise, it was an old favorite: a Cadbury Fruit & Nut Bar. Mmm! Have you ever had one of those traditional English bars? I hadn’t had one in ages and they taste just the same as I remember.
My Chocolate Almond Blueberry Bites are a little like those traditional Cadbury squares. They also remind me a bit of Chunky bars. Are they even around anymore? They were thick, square-ish and filled with raisins and nuts.
I included almonds and dried blueberries in my candy, and used good quality, semisweet chocolate chips for the base. All you need to do is melt the chocolate, add the fruit and almonds, spoon the mixture into a silicone mold, and refrigerate until they’re hardened.
I must say, these candies do get a little melty, so make sure you have a napkin on hand when you’re eating them. My first one was gone in just a few bites, so you won’t have messy fingers for long.
You’ll love Chocolate Almond Blueberry Bites for a quick chocolate fix you need in a pinch! Depending on they type of chocolate you use, these can make a vegan and gluten-free treat, too.
Yields 12 bites
- 10-12 ounces high-quality semisweet chocolate chips (use gluten-free or vegan chips to suit your tastes)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or shortening)
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, reserve a little for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped dried blueberries
- Add the chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for about 20 seconds to melt. Stir to combine. If the chocolate isn’t melted, heat for another 10 seconds.
- Add the almonds and blueberries to the chocolate and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the silicone molds, almost to the top (or halfway up if you prefer).
- Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes or until solid.
- Remove from the mold and serve.
- Keep unused bites refrigerated.
The mold I used had 12, 1-ounce rounds.