I’m all for adding fruit to my green salads lately. What do you think — are you ready to try a little sweetness in your salad? If so, head straight to the kitchen to make a big bowl of Chicken Salad with Strawberries and Honey-Lemon Mint Dressing. It’s quite a dish!
Maybe your first glance of these photos had you thinking, “Oh, I love a salad with cherry tomatoes!” I’m sorry to disappoint you (although you won’t be disappointed after your first bite), but there aren’t any tomatoes in this salad. Instead, it’s studded with sweet, red strawberries. That’s right, the sweet spot in this salad is none other than one of the season’s stars.
Like I said, I’ve been all about fruit in my green salads lately. Case in point: this Smoked Salmon Salad with Blueberries and Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing. Ohmygawd, so delicious, and no cooking required!
I also have a thing for strawberries lately, and why not. From No Bake Strawberry-Banana Cheesecake Parfaits to Small Batch Strawberry-Serrano Refrigerator Jam to Strawberry-Mint Agua Fresca, what’s not to love?
I know I’ve had spinach salads with strawberries in the past. I seem to remember this being a popular shower or special event salad (with good reason) but I don’t really remember much else.
This salad is special in its simplicity, its heartiness, and its flavor.
You want a filling meal for dinner, but you don’t want to turn on the oven? I totally understand. You want something fresh and tasty, but not something that’s complicated to put together? Got it.
My recommendation is Chicken Salad with Strawberries and Honey-Lemon Mint Dressing. I cooked the chicken in a skillet on the stovetop with just a bit of salt and black pepper for seasoning. If you don’t even want to go that far, you could use rotisserie or deli chicken.
I love making my own dressing because you can add the fresh ingredients you love most, and it’s so easy to do. I chose fresh lemon juice and mint for this salad, and it’s a perfect pairing.
If you’re ready for something special to go down for dinner without a fuss, put Chicken Salad with Strawberries and Honey-Lemon Mint Dressing on your “to-make” list. You’ll love it!
Yields Serves 2
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (start with 1 tablespoon, and add more as needed)
- 3/4 cup light flavored olive oil
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, cut into small pieces
- 2 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and ground black pepper for seasoning
- 4-6 cups salad greens of choice (I used Romaine and spinach), torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1-1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Combine the ingredients in a glass jar and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use. Stir before using.
- Lightly season both sides of the chicken with the salt and black pepper. Add the vegetable oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Remove from the skillet. Let the chicken sit for a few minutes before slicing it into strips.
- Combine the salad greens and strawberries in a bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to combine.
- Transfer the salad to a platter or bowl with the chicken slices over the top.
- Garnish with the blue cheese crumbles.