Satisfy a craving
I know this is the second pancake post in a month, but they’re always on my husband’s (and my) mind. Who am I to deprive him (or myself) of a stack of tasty fluffiness? These Flaxseed Pancakes with Mascarpone Spread and Fruit are filling, delightful, and are made with a heart-smart ingredient – flaxseed.
For something different, I wanted to add flaxseed meal and whole-wheat flour to my pancake batter. Thanks to omega-3 fatty acids and fiber (among other things), flaxseed can have a lot of health benefits (like the potential to lower blood pressure and cholesterol and reduce your risk of cancer, among other things). Who doesn’t want to wake up to that?
Work with it
I turned to Sara Moulton’s recipe for the pancake batter, and I added a few goodies for topping, like a mascarpone-yogurt spread and fresh fruit (the spread makes your pancakes more decadent, and hopefully doesn’t cancel out all the health benefits of the flaxseed, totally).
I had a little trouble with the batter at first, because it was heavy and thick (I’m sure this was due to my alterations, not Ms. Moulton’s recipe!). I adjusted by thinning it out with milk, a little at a time. I found these pancakes to be a bit more dense than other pancakes mixes I’ve used, but they were hearty and perfect for satisfying a craving, as well as hunger. The mascarpone spread and fruit sweeten things up a bit, and certainly these stacks make for a pretty presentation on your plate!
Recipe for Flaxseed Pancakes with Mascarpone Spread and Fruit:
Yields 10-12, 5-inch pancakes
INGREDIENTSRecipe slightly adapted from Sara Moulton
Flaxseed Pancakes with Mascarpone Spread and Fruit
For the batter
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (measure, then remove a pinch)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups milk (or a bit more if you like them thinner)
- 1 egg
- Nonstick cooking spray
For the spread
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup plain, Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
Fruit - use your favorite fruit. This is what I added:
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1-2 bananas, diced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 6-8 strawberries, diced
- 2-3 kiwi, diced
For the spread
- Mix the mascarpone and yogurt in a medium bowl. Add the honey and mix until smooth.
- Set aside until you’re ready to use.
For the batter
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add the egg and beat, then add the milk and vanilla extract, and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and use a wooden spoon to mix until combined.
- Set your griddle to medium-high heat. Lightly coat it with the nonstick cooking spray. When hot, add about 1/4 cup of the batter in the form of a 5-inch circle.
- When bubbles form and pop on the pancake and the bottom turns golden, flip the pancake and cook it for another minute or so.
- Serve warm.