One of the great things about pizza is that you can use so many different ingredients and it still turns out to be a crowd pleaser: red sauce, no sauce, vegetables of all types, meats, seafood, baked, grilled, thin crust or thick. I love just about any sort of pizza — give or take a few toppings. Zucchini Ribbon and Ricotta Pizza is light and refreshing, and one of my new favorites!
Here comes the heat
In Phoenix, the temperature just hit the 100-degree mark. It’s still April but we all know what lurks beyond…the unrelenting 110-degree-and-above, all-consuming heat. Day into night into day. For the next five months, give or take.
Light, fresh and tasty
When the temperature is that hot, I look for dishes that are light and that don’t load you down. This pizza hit the mark this week.
The pretty, green zucchini “ribbons” make a fun presentation and they taste great combined with the other flavors included in this pizza: lemon zest, garlic, ricotta, Kalamata olives and pine nuts. It’s light, fresh, and makes a perfect spring or summer dish.
This is when I should say, “Bring on the heat,” but I just can’t. I know it’s coming.
Recipe for Zucchini Ribbon and Ricotta Pizza
Recipe adapted from Sun-Maid
- 1, 12-inch prepared pizza crust
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 small zucchini (gently run a vegetable peeler the length of the zucchini to make thin “ribbons”)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Two teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven according to the pizza crust package directions.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the zucchini, olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and salt and pepper. Toss to combine well.
- Dollop the ricotta cheese around the pizza crust and spread it out slightly.
- Mound the zucchini over the cheese, then sprinkle the olives evenly over the zucchini.
- Sprinkle on the pine nuts, then the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake according to the pizza crust instructions. The cheese should be slightly melted and the crust crispy.