I love to make this dish for dinner, mostly because I love the leftovers even more! I love cold, leftover meatloaf – I mean rice and lentil loaf – better than the first serving of it!
Most everyone has an opinion about meatloaf. Some love its homey comfort made from their mom’s recipe. Some think of it as a heavy-duty boring blast from the past. Some would never eat it. Enter rice and lentil loaf with mass appeal!
Whether you’re a meat eater, vegetarian or trying to cut meat from your meals more often (think Meatless Monday), this loaf is a great option for you to try.
Whatever your opinion of the classic dish, this recipe is meatloaf-like enough for fans, but different enough for meatloaf foes. The addition of rice, lentils and vegetables makes it a healthy dish, and although it has almost the same texture as meatloaf, it gives you the chance to try something a little out-of-the ordinary.
Best of all, the leftovers are amazing, cold and straight from the fridge!
Recipe for Rice and Lentil Loaf:
Serves 6-8 people
- 3 cups of water
- 3/4 cup o uncooked lentils, sorted & rinsed
- 1 cup of uncooked regular rice
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, diced
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1-2 handfuls of Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1, 14-ounce jar of pasta sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, combine the water and lentils and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, onion, salt and mix together well. Cover the pan and simmer for about 15-18 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the lentils and rice are tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow it cool for about 10 minutes. Add in the remaining seasonings and mix together well.
- Grease an 8x4-inch glass loaf pan (use a non-metallic pan -- a casserole dish if you need to). Stir ½ cup of the pasta sauce and the remaining ingredients into the lentil mixture. Mash it up a bit as you mix it. Press it firmly into your greased pan.
- Bake the loaf for 40-45 minutes or until the top of the loaf is golden. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Heat up the remaining pasta sauce and spoon it on top of each slice.